Friday, June 12, 2009

Green Sticks Ranch, California (AKA Rancho Palos Verdes)

April showers typically bring May flowers, but this year even my May started out in a downpour! Feeling overly stressed with work projects, church assignments, personal matters, and apartment and roommate hunting, I found myself clinging to the thread shards on the end of my rope. I felt so overwhelmed that like a light bulb, I knew I would either burn out, or shatter (more like explode!) in a million pieces .

One late evening at work, as I sat with my head on my desk, trying to gather the energy to make one last round on my patients, I looked at my office mate and said, "It's official. I'm running away." She somehow knew I wasn't kidding, and scooted her chair over as I Googled vacation packages to Thailand and Tierra de Fuego. Together we priced tickets to destinations all around the world, trying to find me an escape route to Anywhere, Planet Earth.

In the midst of my determined spontaneity (is that possible?), I remembered my Uncle Doug in California, who had invited me several times to his home in Rancho Palos Verdes. With my jaw set towards the West and my time off request in hand, I figured it was about time I took him up on his offer! One week later, I was squishing sand between my toes at Redondo Beach, soaking up sunshine in my Uncle Doug and Aunt Rosie's magnificent backyard garden, and playing hide and seek with my cousins after a boat ride and day at the pier. It was the perfect, peaceful weekend away that I needed, and I came home feeling so refreshed and ready to face life again. Turns out, May did bring her flowers after all...

The view on the drive to my Uncle's house. Love the palm trees!
The cliffs at Palos Verdes Estate.

My uncle's backyard where I spent the majority of my time reading and getting sun.

The sail on our boat, on our spontaneous boat tour off Ports o'Call in San Pedro.

A baby seal we spotted

My Uncle Doug and Aunt Rosie

Me, in front of one of the cargo ships. Those things are HUGE!

My cousin Andrew checking out a lone sailboat on the Redondo Beach pier.

This cute band, playing right on the water's edge, added the perfect soundtrack to my day.

Some really large birds we spotted on the pier.

Random kids playing soccer on Redondo beach.

My cousin Andrew wrote my name in the sand, to prove I was really there!

8 comments:

  1. Um, how did you go to California and I not know this? Seriously? You went to visit Doug and Rosie? What?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Sounds like a well deserved vacation. And I love your spontaneity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time! I stayed in Redondo Beach in February and absolutely loved it there. Now come visit me next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amber: why didn't you tell us? Did you think that we would have given you hard time because you are such a penny pincher that you have a hard time buying avocadoes if they are not on sale but you suddenly have money to go jetting off on luxurious California vacations at a moments notice? Wait, we probably would have (but we would just have been jealous).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! It looks like it was fun and I'm glad you took a much needed LIFE vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you did something for YOU. You so deserve it Desi. It looks like you had an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, sista! Nothing like a vacation in California to help you relax. And when you plan the trip to Tierra del Fuego, make sure I'm on your packing list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Views like these beckon me to find a place to call home in rancho palos verdes california. Yeah... maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete